Being new in a ward can be overwhelming. What kind of ward is it? Will I find someone I can connect with? Will my children find other teens they can relate? What calling will I get? All these questions can make a person go stir crazy with worry. Lucky for us, majority were answered the first time we went to church {the weekend after conference}. We LOVE our ward! It's a military ward in that it's very transient with military families so we fit in perfectly. Our Bishop, what can I say, HE FREAKIN' ROCKS! He's so awesome and genuinely loves all of us. There have been 2 Bishops that hold a place in our hearts, Bishop Stewart in Las Vegas and my bishop now. Not that I haven't like the others, but with these 2 extraordinary men, you can literally feel the love they have for you and your family. It means so much to know that the Lord will sometimes put you in a ward that makes you feel like that's where you were meant to be {even if it's in North Carolina}.
We are also very lucky in that we have 2 amazing neighbors in our neighborhood. We were invited our first Sunday here for deserts after church and it's been blissful friendships ever since. I LOVE them!
Okay, so now that I've bragged incessantly about my ward and friends, I'll address the last question about moving to a new ward.
A couple of weeks ago, the 2nd counselor approached me and asked to speak with me for a moment. Instantly, I got butterflies in my stomach afraid of what calling I was going to be asked to fill. Who knows what they had in store? I quickly found out that Cub Master was the answer to my curiosity. The butterflies in my stomach rapidly turned to nausea. I got nervous, freaked, and the sudden urge to puke. I'M NOT A SCOUTS'S TYPE OF GIRL! I hate bugs, mud, dirt, being outside, smelling, sweating, and all of the above. I like fixing my hair, shopping, crafting, putting on make up, and did I mention shopping? I looked at the counselor and expressed my concerns and wait for it.......turned it down! My husband says that when you're asked to fill a calling, you don't decline. In this case, if I accepted, I'd be a nervous wreck and it would seriously jeopardize my going to church-not to mention that I'm not comfortable living here yet . That may sound absolutely ridiculous but I know myself enough to realize what kind of person I am. I'm okay to be referred to as snobby or prissy and I can accept that about myself. And being here on the east coast where BUGS NEVER DIE may have a large part in that. The counselor very politely listened and said he'd speak to the bishop and they'll get back with me. I was asked to pray about it but what do I pray for, that I don't get it?
My prayers and concerns were answered this past Sunday when my awesome bishop called Brad and I into the office to speak with me. He mentioned to me about turning down the calling and when I explained to him how I felt, he smiled and presented me with a new calling. Relief Society 1st Counselor! I immediately accepted and not 1 butterfly stirred in my belly. One of my awesome neighbors that lives right next to me is the president so I know I'll be in good hands. Last night I spent a couple of hours organizing my binder and getting ready for my first Sunday in my new calling.
It always amazes me how much Heavenly Father knows us and is there to help us through life. At first I felt bad for turning down Cub Master but now I know that my Father had something else in store. I'm very excited and know that with the Lord's help, this will be an amazing experience!
2016
10 years ago
1 comment:
I'm happy that things are working out so well for you out there. Don't feel too bad about declining that calling. I've had to do that before when I was asked to be in the stake primary presidency...I didn't feel very good about it at all. Although I too felt bad about it, another calling came to me after our ward split that I really enjoy. I agree with you that things do happen for a certain reason. Good luck in your new calling, I know you'll do great!
Post a Comment