Brad is reading this book my mother-in-law suggested, "Influencer", and is getting some great ideas about raising our kids. It's important that not only do you give positive feedback for things they're doing but making it visual so they can see their progress. I can relate because I'm definitely a visual person and need to see some things to understand (what can I say, I'm slow). We've talked to our families and have come up with yet another chart (Brad loves charts). These charts will be a tool in showing our kids how amazing they really are and will hopefully motivate them to continue to do well.
Erika's is for her openness with us. We've come up with a way to help her feel comfortable in talking to us about being a teenager. After school, she can have a "Twilight" or "Breaking Dawn" discussion with us. A "Twilight " discussion is when she can say whatever she wants and we can't respond. We listen to all that she has to say and can't go postal of neurotic (me). A "Breaking Dawn" discussion is when we can give our ideas or opinions on the matter. We think this will help her trust us and vice versa. After all, Brad and I weren't the perfect teenagers and understand that it's tough. This will give Erika an opportunity to share her trials and dramas of being a teenage girl.
Alex is for his good behavior. We've already made a "behavioral slip" he has to take to school and get signed by each teacher everyday. It has a "good" and "bad" column that the teachers can initial and a "comment" section for them to give input. It's worked out great and the teachers are big fans. They've mentioned that Alex is more aware of his behavior and knows that we'll find out right away. His chart is so he can see the positive feedback he's getting and keep it up.
Each kid will get rewards for their hard work in their "trouble" areas. Hopefully, this will show them that we care about them and want to be a part of their lives. They can feel secure of who they are and what they are capable of with a little bit of work. We think very highly of our children and maybe they will believe it now that they can see the progress.
I knew being a parent was hard work but I never expected it would be this hard. I love them very much and know that they are extremely bright, sweet, and full of life. If I could keep them in a bubble and protect them from the world, I totally would. But with Brad by my side and faith in Heavenly Father, I know that we can make it.
Erika gets flowers per square.

Alex gets a star.

Perfect world in the eyes of me!
1 comment:
You are such a good mom! I hope it works, those are great ideas I'll have to remember those for when my boys are getting to be teenagers.
Post a Comment