Thursday, October 9, 2008

We Crossed Over to the "Cell Phone for Kids" Side

You read it right. Last night after Brad came home from work, we went to Walmart and bought 2 "Net 10" prepaid cell phones. What are we doing?

The kids are enrolled in a "Compass Learning" program (extra work on a computer from a variety of subjects like reading, social studies, math, etc.) after school that goes from 2:20pm to 3:25pm. They have a late bus available but it doesn't have a consistent time when it drops off my kids. Yesterday they didn't walk through the door until 4pm. I wasn't fond of not having any idea when they'll get home so I called Brad and told him we're buying phones.

Needless to say, they are so excited! I woke up this morning with the kids showing me their screen savers and listening to their ring tones. It was so cute but we had to give the ground rules for those possible "more trouble than its worth" gadgets. It came with 300 minutes free for 60 days and you purchase more minutes as it runs out. For the kids, that is 5 minutes a day usage. It is only to call me or Brad for emergencies or to let me know when the late bus has left. Brad bet the kids a root beer float that they'll get it taken away by next week (which is in 3 days-we obviously don't think they'll make it). When they make money from grades or birthdays (Erika's is Saturday), they can add more minutes to give them more freedom to use it more. We'll see if this works or not but I hope so. I like knowing my children can call for anything without having to find a friend and borrow their phone. Cross your fingers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Third paragraph, second line, "there" should be "their."

Luv ya..........Dad